The Creative Director will lead a creative team supporting various business lines throughout Nationwide. They will direct creative strategy, idea generation and execution of sales generating campaigns and communications in support of Nationwide business objectives.
- Responsible for the overall holistic creative output produced by the team, including content and design. This includes creative strategy, idea generation and execution of individual tactics. Work is primarily external facing advertising, sales collateral, writing, campaign development, packaging, naming, social media, email, website content and conference support.
- Consults with project leaders and partners to ensure creative work delivers on business objectives and provides measurable results. Ensures clients are getting best-in-class creative work that is an accurate expression of the Nationwide brand.
- Articulates team vision and guides managers and associates toward successfully reaching that vision. Establishes a creative culture where an open exchange of ideas is valued. Works to assure team is current on industry trends and technology.
- Provides management and leadership for four direct reports and 15 indirect reports. Is responsible for performance management, salary planning, training and development, process and organizational planning and recruiting and retaining staff.
Typical skills and experiences
Education: Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communication, Fine Arts or Graphics Arts. Certification: Series 6 & 26 licenses (Required)
Experience: 10 or more years related experience in progressively responsible creative service positions; including five years of creative development management experience.
Skills: Creative idea generation, technical understanding of creative development, ability to coach and guide creatives with award winning level of creative output. Strong leadership and organizational management. Relationship management. Strong written and verbal communications. Command skills to engage with business partners and team.
Reporting Relationships: Report to AVP/VP level or higher. Responsible for 2 or more professional level direct reports. May be responsible for matrix reporting relationships and virtual teams.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs consultation to senior management and project leaders on internal and external creative service issues and programs to ensure that creative service plans support the business unit and/or company strategic initiatives and objectives. Responsible for the overall holistic creative output looking at the totality of the communications including the design and content.
- Directs the planning, development and implementation of complex, strategic creative services programs. Responsible for the development and consultation to senior management on strategic and tactical creative service plans for the organization and/or specified business unit(s).
- Recommends best practices based on metrics (what worked, what didn’t work, how to improve).
- Directs a multi-functional creative services staff; provides direction on production methods; develops and implements workflow processes; and, adheres to established time standards while maintaining quality. Directs cross-functional teams to develop creative communications solutions.
- Directs the production of multiple communications solutions for internal/external audiences such as: web based products and productions, presentations and other audio/visual programs; the production of video and electronic and print media productions; the planning and production of photography for multiple uses, web design; graphic design; live events.
- Interacts with senior leadership presenting creative proposals. Directs cross-functional teams to develop communications. Consults with managers, editors, and writers to resolve graphic and audio-visual problems. Responsible for effective use of social media as extension of creative strategy.
- Reviews current technology in fields of web development and graphic design, photography, video and live events; identifies improved methods, materials, and equipment, and equipment that may benefit department productivity.
- Responsible for multiple production project budgets and responsible for adherence to the overall department budget.
- Directs and negotiates all hiring and coordination of outside resources including contractors, freelancers, photographers, audio/visual vendors, special events coordinators.
- Directs associate management including: performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt).
Working Conditions: Production environment. Moderate travel. Extended/nonstandard hours
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.