The Communications Specialist
As the Communications Specialist you revel in the minutiae of communications strategy, planning and execution. You are driven by a service mindset to produce high quality deliverables that move stakeholders to action. You have a passion for storytelling in all forms – and always with empathy. You are confident and flexible enough to adapt to unplanned situations of any size with optimism. You simplify the complex and make it look fun and easy.
The Communications Team supports the mission of camp through marketing and communication strategies of storytelling, impact messaging and brand awareness. The communications team creates print and electronic materials to connect with our campers, families, volunteers and other important stakeholders, engage and retain donors and increase awareness in Ohio and beyond.
This position will be a member of the Development Team. The Development Team is responsible for generating $3.5M+ in contributed income annually in addition to $585K in gifts in kind to support Flying Horse Farms’ mission. By engaging donors with camp through cultivation, stewardship, data analysis and authentic experiences, a donor journey is created.
Communications, Marketing & Brand Support
- Manage implementation of a strategic communications and marketing plan and calendar under direction of the Director of Communication.
- Ensure the consistency of brand messaging internally and externally.
- Create and edit media and other communications materials regularly.
- Build and cultivate relationships with media, designers, videographers, communications consultants, and key influencers.
- May manage volunteers; point of contact for vendors
Storytelling, Publication & Media
- Develop and concept brochures, flyers, team specific collateral as needed. Create forms and other pieces for distribution on a semi-regular and/or annual basis.
- Manage organization-wide collateral; implement systems for reviewing and updating regular and annual pieces.
- Create and produce content for external purposes to tell stories of FHF.
- Support in the production of annual Impact Report and Journey magazine through content gathering, edits and photos.
- Manage and implement digital, web, and social media presence to ensure consistency in tone, brand, and updates, including generating, editing and publishing engaging content daily.
- Manage monthly e-newsletters: write and edit content, coordinate with teams and distribute via MailChimp
- Manage and implement a strategic social media plan on all mediums. Apply appropriate social media trends that elevate FHF’s presence and align with the values of the organization.
- Write and submit award nominations to bolster FHF in the community.
- Track social media analytics.
- Document and analyze data and outcomes related to communications statistics for grants and other project reports
Development / Impact Messaging
- Assist in developing communications strategy to special events. Create script and messaging for event program as needed.
- Create and coordinate event marketing messaging throughout the year.
- Coordinate annual appeal content and revision process.
Required Skills & Experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders via phone, email and in person
- Proficient editing and writing skills
- Working knowledge of InDesign
- Strong understanding of brand management
- Ability to work cross-functionally with a variety of teams
- Experience in WordPress
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Photo / Video editing and Web CMS
- Experience working in Nonprofit organizations
- Experience working in a Marketing and/or Communications or related field
- Web management experience: email platforms (Mailchimp)
- Technology savvy and innovative
- Experience with photo editing and organization
- Working knowledge of Lightroom
Expectations & Requirements for all Flying Horse Farms Staff?
- We live our Values. We are each responsible for knowing our values and nurturing our culture:
- We are All In.We demonstrate a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done, we are supportive and loyal, show up present and ready and we are passionate about “Campers First.”
- We have an Attitude of Optimism.We find what’s working and make more of that happen, demonstrate adaptability within ambiguity, spread joy and hope and ensure everyone we interact with feels “Welcomed Home.”
- We are Trustworthy.We are consistent, dependable and steady, truthful and operate with transparency, take ownership for our work and “See the Best” in others.
- We Take Initiative.We are driven, work towards goals with fortitude, pay attention to details and find innovative solutions with “Fearless is Free” attitudes.
How to Apply:
- Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Flying Horse Farms provides healing, transformative camp experiences for children with serious illnesses and their families – free of charge. Located on 200 acres in Mt. Gilead, Ohio, camp first opened its gates in 2010 and hosts about 900 children and families each year.
Flying Horse Farms is the first camp in the Midwest to become a full member of the SeriousFun Children’s Network. Founded by actor, philanthropist and Ohio native Paul Newman, the Network is a community of independently managed and financed camps and programs creating opportunities for children with serious illnesses and their families. The Network has evolved from one camp to a global community serving one million children and families across five continents.
The children who attend camp have illnesses including cancer, heart conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, blood disorders, asthma, gastrointestinal disorders and facial anomalies.??
At Flying Horse Farms, for a weekend or week at a time, being sick takes a backseat to?being?a kid. And fun is priority number one. Campers participate in activities like swimming, boating, fishing, archery, high ropes and arts and crafts. Campers receive first-rate care at our on-site health center, staffed 24/7 by medical professionals from children’s hospitals across Ohio and beyond.?
Flying Horse Farms is an ACA-Accredited Camp with the American Camp Association.