The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated exclusively to finding permanent homes for the more than 150,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking. The Foundation has an opening for a full-time director of marketing.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, the Director of Marketing will develop an integrated strategy to communicate with target audiences to increase awareness of and financial support for the Foundation’s mission. The Director will be a strong writer who develops clear and compelling content to be shared across various channels.
- Develop and implement an integrated marketing strategy that raises awareness of the Foundation’s brand and informs the public about our mission and impact across the United States and Canada.
- Create content for blogs, videos, emails, presentations, publications and advertising campaigns that inspire action and support for the Foundation’s signature programs and the sharing of our educational resources.
- Create content for digital and print fundraising campaign materials and donor stewardship communications (e.g., direct mail, appeal emails, annual reports, digital ads, paid and organic social media posts) in collaboration with the marketing and development teams as well as external agency partners. Work with graphic design and the development team to manage audience segmentation and distribute emails through Blackbaud’s Luminate Online™.
- Support the Manager of Digital Communications in engaging with and growing the Foundation’s community of supporters across digital channels (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and the Foundation’s websites), consistently conveying the organization’s key messages and brand voice.
- Support the Manager of Partnership Communications in creating marketing materials and communications to promote fundraising campaigns and events hosted by The Wendy’s Company, suppliers and other third-party organizations across the United States and Canada.
- Inform the development of action-oriented reports (mining data from Sprout Social, Google Analytics, Luminate and other platforms) to inform and track progress toward the marketing and development team’s strategic goals.
- Write, edit and proofread communications materials in alignment with the Foundation’s brand standards and AP style.
- Assume responsibility for professional growth, keeping current with content marketing, digital fundraising and communications trends. Perform other duties, as requested.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Experience utilizing best practices in developing an integrated marketing strategy, leveraging, print, email, web and social media channels, to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Knowledge of effective digital advertising, digital fundraising, email marketing, audience segmentation, organic and paid search, and search engine optimization strategies.
- Experience using tools designed for nonprofit organizations, such as Blackbaud’s Luminate Online email marketing platform, GoFundMe Charity™ and Google Ad Grants, a plus. Ability and willingness to learn new systems quickly.
- Superior oral and written communication and editing skills. Knowledge and use of AP style.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects, on time and on budget.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates integrity, credibility and a steadfast commitment to the organization’s mission.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in marketing, communications or related field.
- 8-10 years of experience in integrated marketing and communications.
- Digital marketing agency and nonprofit marketing experience are a plus.
- Limited travel required (less than 10%).