Title: Manager, Graphic Design
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posted Date: January 14, 2021
Reports To: Director, Marketing and Communications
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated exclusively to finding permanent homes for the more than 150,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking. The Foundation has an opening for a full-time manager of graphic design.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The manager of graphic design will serve as a creative strategist within the Marketing and Communications team and collaborate with all departments to ensure a cohesive brand and user experience across all mediums to build awareness and support for the Foundation’s mission.
- Develop and maintain the organization’s brand and sub-brands, including the creation of:
- Print: Office materials and templates, annual report and other publications, ads, brochures, etc.
- Digital: Website content and visual placement that engages audiences and leads to measurable action; images for social media; fundraising and awareness email design and distribution
- Presentations: Visuals/infographics and design of presentations in PowerPoint, InDesign and MS Word that convey information in clear and compelling ways
- Video: Creative strategy, visual assets and light editing for informal videos and public service announcement campaigns, as needed
- Animations: For storytelling shared through social media, emails, web platforms and presentations
- Photography: For informal events to share via social; coordination with a professional photographer for publications
- Environmental: Imagery design for office branding and events
- Support creative brief development, capture design requirements and facilitate team meetings/events for design projects.
- Manage design requests, workflows, deadlines and production details.
- Manage relationships with all external print, digital and material production vendors in partnership with the Director of Marketing and Communications. Collaborate with partners’ designers.
- Identify innovative tools and technologies that offer efficiencies, savings and opportunities to position the Foundation’s leadership as innovative communicators and thought leaders.
- Assume responsibility for professional growth and development, keeping current with design and user experience trends and techniques. Perform other duties, as requested.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Proficient with Adobe products (e.g., Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop). Ability to learn new systems quickly
- Understanding of and experience with HTML/CSS, WordPress and information design techniques for web and email marketing
- Experience with design for all forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram)
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Luminate Online™ email marketing, a plus
- Animation development, video editing and photo editing experience, a plus
- Strong communication as well as budget and project management skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrates integrity, credibility and a steadfast commitment to the mission
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design, visual communications or related field
- 5–8 years of experience in multimedia graphic design (print, digital, web)
- Experience in an agency or consulting setting preferred
- Limited travel required (less than 5%).