As a copywriter, you’ll create messaging and content in support of business goals. You’ll be involved in every stage of development— from idea generation to the execution of individual tactics. You’ll have the opportunity to distill complex insurance and financial topics into approachable, consumer facing content.
The ideal candidate is comfortable writing within a specific brand voice that can flex based on different audiences and content standards. It is also important that you can balance data and creativity to generate work that is succinct yet meaningful. You’ll also be familiar with digital and marketing trends and use them to inform your creative decisions.
In addition to the writing skills required for this position, we’ve also included the general requirements for a role at this level on the creative team at Nationwide.
Do you have the ability to generate fresh, inspiring ideas and translate them into impactful work? Are you comfortable with an iterative process – create, test, learn? If you can bring a contagious energy and work to drive value through the creative process, we want to know more about you! You’ll provide creative work in support of business goals. You’ll be a member of the Creative Services team and deliver a high level of work within your creative field. Your primary focus is supporting conceptual creative development with skillful, efficient execution and attention to detail. We’ll count on you to be eager to grow and learn from peers and leaders on the team!
- Specializes in a core creative subject area, from copywriting or design to photography, video production or motion graphics. Delivers creative work that reflects a command of their field and accurately expresses the Nationwide brand.
- Supports conceptual development and translates ideas into creative work which includes print, digital, information design, social media, motion design, photography and video. Work is primarily external-facing sales collateral, campaigns, content development and advertising.
- Collaborates with creative leaders and peers to ensure work delivers on business objectives and provides measurable results. Actively seeks feedback and applies it to work.
- Works on the implementation of creative initiatives. Incorporates critical thinking, agile problem solving and idea generation. Applies a user-focused approach to the work.
- Contributes to a creative culture where an open exchange of ideas is valued. Stays current on creative industry tools, technology, brand vision, creative approach and popular culture. Demonstrates curiosity, explores possibilities and tries out new ideas.
- Translates a foundational knowledge of a business unit’s vision and strategic priorities into creative work that speaks to and connects with the target audience.
- Understands thoroughly the creative processes and is responsible for executing work efficiently. Adheres to timelines and actively communicates with peers and leaders to ensure projects remain on schedule.
May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Manager or Director. This is an individual contributor role.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate degree in art, visual design, communications, journalism, advertising or related creative services field preferred
Experience: Typically 3 or more years demonstrated experience in copywriting, visual design, video production, motion graphics or photography developing work from concept through completion.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Specializes in one creative field (copywriting, visual design, photography, video production or motion graphics) with the required technical skills. Proven ability to problem solve at any stage throughout the creative process and efficiently adapt to changes. Skilled at time management and attention to detail. Understands integrated marketing principles, including digital, storytelling and content creation. Possesses empathy, emotional intelligence, collaboration skills and is able to work in team environment. Solid visual, verbal and written communication skills; experience delivering creative ideas.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Extended/nonstandard hours may be necessary.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.